Benefits to libraries/consortia of using agents and intermediaries
This page describes just some of the wide range of tailored services information intermediaries deliver to libraries and consortia, and describes the many benefits these services bring.
Helping libraries stay informed
These services help librarians maintain accurate and up-to-date records, gain a complete picture of their electronic and print holdings, and ensure that user-facing services are as informative and up-to-date as possible.
- A-Z lists and subject lists
- Bibliographic updates
- Changes to platforms, URL's, titles, publisher packages etc.
- Publication schedules
- Pricing models and information
- Access procedure (and support)
- Ordering options
- Library holdings including:
- orders placed
- e-versions enabled
- progress of claims
- Trial access
Save time and money
- Invoice consolidation - simplifies procurement for libraries and consortia
- Departmental/faculty coding on invoicing - supports budgeting and cost-centre assessment
- EDI transactions - deliver accurate information fast
- Integrated searching - for comprehensive search results
- Link resolvers - promotes efficient usage; resolves appropriate copy issues
- Usage statistics integrated with pricing - supports informed collection development
- Aggregated collections - ultimate choice, maximum value via a single interface
- Shelf-ready print journals - saving you staff, time and resources
- Prompt payment to multiple publishers in multiple currencies - simplifies ordering and payment
- Registration tracking - simplifies e-content registration
- Licence tracking - provides easy access to current licence terms
- Package renewal tools - enable efficient renewal of large collections
- New ERM tools - helping you manage your collection efficiently
- ONIX and ONIX PL - supporting efficient transfer and communication of licence information
Many of our members also offer comprehensive services for consortia such as online tools which support:
- assessment of publisher offers
- placing of orders and activation of subscriptions
- accurate invoicing and charging of e-package deals
- efficient administration including tracking membership, invoicing etc.
- efficient renewals
Agents can supply a full range of comprehensive reports including:
- searches, sessions and turnaways, supporting collection development decisions
- (multi-year) price comparisons to help you migrate from print to electronic
- price-per-use data to supporting collection development decisions
- vendor- and/or collection specific queries supporting analysis of cost per budgetary code
Use the ASA Member Directory to find out more about the services individual ASA members offer to libraries and consortia.
The ASA sets high standards in relation to the services its members provide to libraries and other information professionals. To ensure these standards are met, the ASA has developed Guidelines to which all ASA members must sign and agree.